5 Products This Makeup Artist Can’t Live Without
Yikes, asking a makeup artist what five things they can’t live without is a tricky one, especially because there are so many things I love and use on a daily basis. However, after much deliberation, I’ve narrowed it down and chosen a few items that are super versatile and can be used in multiple ways. So here are the five products I can’t live without!
1. Skin Care Sometimes simple is just better, so for the past two years I have fully converted to using a mix of essential oils and coconut oil on my face to cleanse and moisturise (and I haven’t been disappointed). I mix 10 drops of Frankincense oil and 10 drops of Patchouli oil with 30ml of coconut oil and the benefits for my skin have been considerable. Plus I smell like I’ve just walked out of a luxurious spa! This concoction helped to clear up a pigmentation patch on my forehead, meaning I no longer need to conceal it with coverage, and it has eliminated dryness and fine lines around my eyes (a match made in heaven). This mixture should last a good six months for one person, making it super long lasting, affordable and chemical free! You can use it as cleanser, as well as a face and body moisturiser.
2. Foundation You either love it or you hate it! Chances are if you hate it, you just haven’t found the right shade, formulation, or nailed the right application yet. But I love foundation because it brings life to my face, especially if I’m tired. Even the smallest amount can make the biggest difference. With the right application, a shade that suits you and a decent blender brush, it will perfect your makeup every time, making you feel put together, confident and radiant! For light to medium coverage, my trusty favourites are Charlotte Tilbury’s Light Wonder and MAC Face and Body.
3. Foundation Brush Brushes really are key to your makeup application and my KTK Foundation Blender Brush is my best seller. My biggest mantra is blend, blend, blend, so when I got the chance to design my own brushes, I was determined my foundation brush would be versatile, but also blend your foundation to a flawless, breathable finish. It’s easy to use and you will notice a huge difference in your makeup finish. It can also be used to buff concealer under the eyes, blend crème blusher and to contour.
4. Mascara Adding a little bit of glam and definition to the eyes with mascara is my “go-to” for eyes. It takes seconds to apply, so there’s no excuses for lack of time. Mascara instantly open your eyes and adds a bit of glam (without going over the top). My favourite product is MAC’s Extended Play Gigablack Lash. It doesn’t smudge or run, and is easy to remove with warm water. Win Win!
5. Blusher/Lippy Adding just a pop of colour to the face can be a real game changer and if you find a lip colour you love then you can 100% cheat and use it as a blusher too (so long as you stick to pinks, corals and muted reds). Alternatively some brands now offer great two-in-one formulations that are both a lipstick and a blusher, like this Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge compact in Fresh Melon. If you aren’t a foundation or mascara type of gal, then do experiment with a blusher/lippy combo and don’t worry if you make a mistake, you can easily take it off and start again (but you won’t know until you try it). I promise it will make the world of difference and you’ll feel great for it.
Those are the five products this makeup artist can’t live without. I wonder how many of them are the same for you!